My Granny – Minnie Bishop, gave this recipe to me -
Apparently it was one her mother used.
I have converted the measurements into “Today’s weights”.
I make this all the time it is delicious!
- 125 grams Butter
- 1-Cup Castor Sugar
- 1-Cup Unsweetened Stewed Apple
- 1 Large Egg (Lightly Beaten)
- 1¾ cups Plain Flour (Sifted 3 times)
- 1-Cup Sultanas (Lightly tossed in a small amount of flour)
- 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (Sift with flour)
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger (Sift with flour)
- 2 Teaspoons Bi-Card of Soda (Sift with flour)
- 1-Tablespoon Full Fat Milk
Slowly melt the butter and sugar together then add it to the stewed apple. To this mix add the egg.
Gently fold in the sifted flour mixture little by little along with the sultanas.
Heat the tablespoon of milk and add the bi-carb. Once this is done add to the cake mixture and fold in well. Add mixture to cake pan.
CAKE PAN: Use an 8 inch round pan. This needs to be lined with Grease Proof Paper (wax paper) on the sides with about 1 inch higher than the pan sides (this prevents burning and drying out of the cake) and also lined on the bottom.
Cooking time: About 60 minutes in Moderate Oven (175c – 350F or if with gas 175-190c or 350-375F)
Check the cake after 50 minutes as some ovens do vary.